Coachella is the music festival, without a doubt. All types of celebrities attend, world renowned artists perform, tickets are sold out and Instagram goes ablaze with festival fashion. For many people, however, the famous festival is simply out of reach, be it because of distance, money or scheduling. If you’re still craving the festival experience, why not bring it to your backyard? Sure, it may not be a packed festival filled with A-listers, but it will be an incredibly fun and even cozy time with friends.
Camp out under the stars
Camping out is a must and will be made even better with a campfire and s’mores! You can use a tent, or simply sleep under the stars in sleeping bags, if the weather allows. Even if you don’t own any camping gear, DIY one with a pretty blanket and string, as seen below. Adding string lights and candles will make the experience magical and Instagram-ready.
Fringe and flower crowns galore
Since you will only be in your (or your friend’s) backyard, take the festival clothing to extremes! Combine all the typical festival fashion into one very fun look. Wear fringe tops, hair chalk, round sunglasses, gladiator sandals… Go crazy! You can even DIY t-shirts and flower crowns.
Turn up the music
Check out the lineup at this year’s Coachella, which you can probably find in a neat little playlist, or which you can curate yourself with your preferred artists. Here’s just one combination:
“Where Are Ü Now” by Jack Ü
“Midnight City” by M83
“Little Talks” by Of Monsters and Men
“Sweet Child O’ Mine” by Guns n Roses
“Hold Back the River” by James Bay
“The Mother We Share” by CHVRCHES
“Girls” by The 1975
“Cheap Thrills” by Sia
“Summer” by Calvin Harris
“Home” by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Additionally, you can stream the performances live from the comfort of your own Coachella-themed backyard, probably the next best thing to attending.
Keep it fun with activities
A good way to ensure that everyone is entertained the entire time is planning activities inspired by the ones actually carried out at Coachella. Here are just some ideas:
• Set up a photo booth with props and a background. Download free printable props, like these adorable ones from Oh Happy Day.
• Get down and dirty with a pie eating contest. A good idea would be to have each person bake a pie or two for this game and then you can all dig in!
• A beauty bar to give each other some much-needed pampering will be greatly appreciated. You can set up a distinct area full of makeup and beauty products and pillows, mirrors and flowers. Create DIY face masks, give each other manicures or try temporary hair color.
• Host a bad dancing competition, in which the person with the most outrageous, most ridiculous dance moves wins.
• A classic game of limbo and a three-legged race are a must at any kind of party, no matter how old you are
• Put together a yoga corner with incense, candles and mats to unwind. A mellow playlist will also add to the peaceful atmosphere.